Instagram

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Soirette: Macarons & Tea

So earlier this morning, I went with my friend to Downtown Vancouver for some shopping and we stopped macaron place that I've seen many reviews on. I've read some pretty good reviews, and some pretty bad. But like how I usually pick which restaurants to go to, I chose to go here because it looked cute (and clean). haha.
So, one difference I noticed between my visit and the pictures I've seen in other reviews is their decor and how it changes seasonally (or I would assume). I thought it was a pretty cute idea so thumbs up for you, Soirette.
If you go on their website (here), you'll find a list of hours, menu, prices, all the typical stuff. I realized though that their macaron list isn't very updated. The pictures they have are just of one season, I'm assuming and they're missing the photos and excluded many other flavours.

If you don't feel like going on the website, I'll just let you know the prices here:
1 for $2, 6 for $11.50, 12 for $22, 30 for $55 (and yes, people do actually buy 30. The woman lining up behind me decided that she wanted 30 macarons lol)

I ended up getting the 6-pack because if you think about it, it seems to be the best deal.... (other than the box of 30 which I'm definitely not going to get)
So in order, the flavours are: Lavender, Rose, Crème Brûlée, Jasmine, Earl Grey Cassis, and White Truffle.
How I picked these flavours? I was just looking for the best colour combinations (hehe. guilty)



the crème brûlée looks like it has a mustache 

 Below is another really cool photo of their display case. They have a pretty big selection to choose from but I kind of wish they completely just stuck with macarons. As you can see in the panorama photo up top, they have a bit of other sweets on the side (which is totally fine, but they probably could have maybe taken some more macaron flavours and put them there since the other side looks kind of plain)
Regarding taste, I wasn't expecting too much since I've read so many "bad" reviews from people saying how it's not fresh or too sweet, or how everything tastes the same.
I'm going to be completely honest, I've only eaten one so far and that would be the Crème Brûlée. The taste wasn't that bad but most reviews are right. If Soirette could just tone down the sweetness a bit, it would be perfect. I thought the texture was fine but hey, I'm no macaron expert so don't take me for my word.

I'll probably fit in a random restaurant review here and then so keep updated.

Update (8:21pm): I tried the Lavender macaron and it is absolutely delicious (still a little bit sweet but not as bad as the creme brulee) You can't really smell anything if you just sniff the macaron but you can definitely smell the lavender when you're eating the macaron

Update (9:17pm): WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS ;__; I'm going to cry. The pink streak on the White Truffle is NOT sugar so....don't lick it thinking it is. It's sea salt. And my mouth is crying right now. Why would you put that there? It just weirded up the whole treat. On a side note though, I tried the Earl Grey Cassis to take the taste of White Truffle away and I was pleasantly surprised. The Earl Grey smell is very strong (which I absolutely love)

~nyappy

1 comment: